Blessed Angelo established numerous monasteries, and was remarkable for
his patience and his spirit of prayer.
at Foligno, Italy, in 1226, Angelo belonged to the noble family of Conti.
He became an Augustinian, and documents of 1293 and 1297 show him in Gubbio.
He was a member of the Congregation of Blessed John the Good (Giamboniti),
where he was the founder’s disciple at the hermitage of Cesena. He
transferred from the Giamboniti hermits and was one of those active in the
history of the Augustinian Order’s beginnings, establishing the monastery
of Foligno, where he resided between 1248 and 1258. From 1275 to 1293 he
resided in the monastery he established at Montefalco, and thereafter founded
other monasteries. From 1297 he was a member of the community at Gubbio.
The remaining years of his life he spent at Foligno where he died on 27
August 1312, and where his remains are venerated in the church of Saint
Pope Leo XIII approved his cult in 1891. A number of hagiographers mention
that the principal bell in the Augustinian church at Foligno was dedicated
as early as 1358 “to Blessed Angelo dei Conti.”
His memory is celebrated by the Augustinian Family on 6 September.